Helping Go is an initiative to enhance the provision and management of volunteer car journeys using technology to link car schemes, drivers, passengers and corporations.
Volunteer Car Schemes (VCS) offer support for people in the community who do not have access to safe and affordable transport. Helping Go grew out of our founder's experience as a volunteer driver and from seeing the challenges that Volunteer Car Schemes can face. In the VCS sector typically:
- There is a lack of volunteer drivers
- Existing schemes are ‘under the radar’ and tend to be run by the elderly, for the elderly
- There is an under-utilised resource of younger people willing to offer services, as they have limited visibility of how to do this
- Existing schemes are focused on single areas, leaving others without coverage
- Digital technology is under-utilised.
Many of these challenges can be addressed with technology as an enabler. Helping Go aims to tackle these issues and improve good practice.
Aims of Helping Go
‘Helping Go’ is a social enterprise that enables people to:
- Travel when they otherwise couldn’t;
- Minimise or eliminate the cost of travel; and
- Help others in their community, who have limited access to transport, by providing lifts.
Helping Go aims to tackle these issues by (1) enhancing existing volunteer car schemes, and (2) providing volunteer car scheme provision where none exists.
This will be achieved by using technology to (1) improve the efficiency of running car schemes, and (2) expand the pool of drivers.
Helping Go is a Social Enterprise promoting micro-volunteering.
Running a Volunteer Car Scheme? Looking for drivers?
We can help you.